“Dhaka’s Ramadan Price Spike :Navigating the Cost of Living”

 Ramadan in Dhaka is a time of celebration,reflection and fasting. But for many, including my family, it's also a time of worry about the rising prices that come with it. Let me share with you how we navigate through this challenge with creativity, community support and unity.




Last year, I remember visiting the local market to buy ingredients with my family just before Ramadan begins.We were on a mission to buy groceries for the month, but as we looked at the prices, our hearts sank observing the price spike.The cost of essentials like rice, lentils, and cooking oil has gone up, making it difficult for families like ours to afford everything we need.Even something as simple as a packet of dates, a customary item to break the fast, seemed like a luxury beyond our budget.


I remember one particular day when my mother came back from the market with a worried expression. She showed me the receipt and I could see the struggle written all over her face."We'll have to make some adjustments this Ramadan,"she said softly.But my mother is not one to give up easily.Together,we found ways to save our budget and still enjoy a fulfilling Ramadan.Instead of buying pre-packaged iftar snacks,my mother taught me how to make them at home.We spent an afternoon making homemade iftar,filling our home with the delicious aroma of homemade treats.Not only did it save us money, but it also brought us closer together as a family.



Despite our efforts, there were still moments when the rising prices made it hard to make ends meet. I remember hearing stories from neighbors who struggled to put food on the table for iftar, let alone afford the special treats that make Ramadan feel truly special.


But amidst the hardship, there was also a sense of harmony within our community. Neighbors came together to share resources,whether it was sharing iftar meals or pooling money to buy groceries.It was heartwarming to see everyone looking out for each other during these challenging times.


One of the most touching moments came when a local charity organized a food distribution drive in our neighborhood. Families who were struggling to afford groceries were given essential items to help them through Ramadan.It was a lifeline for many, including us, and it reminded me of the power of kindness and empathy in times of need.

 

As Ramadan comes to an end, I look back on the month with a sense of gratitude. Yes,the price hike has posed its challenges,but it has also brought our community closer together.It taught us the importance of unity and the beauty of coming together to support one another in times of hardship.


So, as I bid farewell to another Ramadan,I do that with a renewed sense of hope and gratitude for the strength of my community.I know that no matter what challenges lie ahead, we will face them together with kindness and empathy.


Nawshin Islam

ID:23221113

Section:41

Comments